This list seems to be all but dead and it seems that no development is being done on this product but, in the off-chance that someone may pick up on this, here are my thoughts.
AutoVer seems to be a good start to a great piece of software but it is in need of some improvement to make it usable in any reasonably sized system...
1. The 'syncing watcher' dialog box really needs the watcher name on it somewhere. What would be nice also would be having the current path/filename shown on it too, as would the restore dialog box. It's difficult, after half an hour or so, to remember which of the 20 watchers was being acted on.
2. The watcher state needs to include an indication when the watcher is backing up or restoring a file.
3. If a watched or backup location is not available, the watcher properties needs to still accept and save any changes made to it (to avoid the task of editing the XML file and restarting AutoVer). Today, both these locations are likely to be network locations or usb devices and may not always be available when the properties needs to be updated.
4. The logging needs to be more informative... Lines like this - "2016-05-04 23:52:59.110 T69 Error ComputeFileHash Unable to find the specified file." - are pretty meaningless to a human as the 'specified file' isn't specified.
5. Logging needs to include a message for every transaction (auditing) which includes the watcher name, the timestamp, the watched path/filename and the backup path.
6. It would be nice to have way to copy/paste a watcher to make another one (again, another task I do by editing the xml file).
7. It should be possible to add 'Include Folders' to the watcher properties (it has all the other permutations on include/exclude folders/files). This would facilitate backing up only specific folders from the watched folder.
I suppose this is wishful thinking but I'd give it a shot myself if I could get the necessary resources installed, but I don't know what the development environment should be.
Take care all and happy backing up